Schwangau is conveniently located for a visit to Neuschwanstein Castle, but you really should plan enough time for this town if you'd like a break out in the country. With three lakes, the Ammergebirge nature reserve and miles of trails, this is a wonderful spot for stretching out your legs, hiking or biking in summer.
- Forggensee is a large lake, where you can rent pedal boats, canoes or kayaks in summer. Or go on one or two hour boat cruises, June to October. There's also swimming and easy hikes along the lake and through the pine forests.
- Lake Bannwaldsee is a wildlife sanctuary. Lots of wildflowers and this is the warmest lake for swimming.
- Forest paths around the lake and a children's playground.
Tegelberg cable car
- Ride the cable car to the top of Tegelberg Mountain, with spectacular views of the valley and lake below. At the top, there's a cafe, and hiking trails.
- Kids will have fun on the "summer luge," careening down a long slide on a rubber tobogganan, plus a playground with swings and slides for little ones, trampolines and water play areas. The luge is for kids over age 6.