Luna Park - Luna Park is an amusement park, popular with families since the 1930's. Ride the antique carousel, ferris wheel, bumper cars, and roller coaster, explore the mirror mazes in the fun house, and play sideshow games. Luna Park also has cafes for meals and snacks, and a picnic area. Tip: Ferries stop at Luna Park, located on the north side of Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Taronga Zoo - Take the ferry from Circular Quary to Taronga Zoo on the North Shore. Ride the Sky Safari to the top, and then walk down through nine different habitats. The zoo has a wonderful selection of animals native to Australia - kangaroos, Tasmanian devils, echidnas, emus, dingoes, koalas, platypuses, wombats, and underwater marine life. The Bird Show is a "must," views of Sydney Harbour and birds flying free overhead (highly recommended by one parent).
- Pack your swim suits, sunscreen, towels, and spend the day at Manly Beach (remember to swim between the red and yellow flags). Boogie boards, surf boards, beach chairs and umbrellas are available for rent. The beach has changing rooms and showers, seaside cafes are close by.
Cabbage Tree Bay Walk
- Take the coast walk from the Manly Surf Club to Shelly Beach (also a good beach for families as the waves are calm). Along the path, look for imaginative small bronze eco-sculptures embedded in the sandstone - a little penguin, octopus, seadragon, blue grouper, and more.
Learn to surf
- Manly Beach is ideal for kids (and parents) to learn to surf. Experienced instructors, wetsuits and surfboards are provided, for kids 5 and up, and able to swim in the ocean.
- Protected North Harbour is a great place for kayaking, the water is calm, look for dolphins as you paddle around. Double kayaks are perfect for a parent and child. Kayaks and life jackets are provided, bring hats and sunscreen, watershoes, wear clothing that can get wet.
Go for a bike ride
- Rent bikes and bike for miles bike paths around Manly. Take the bikes-only path from Shelly Beach, along Manly Beach, to Queenscliff Beach to Manly Lagoon. Bike rental is available on the Esplanade where the ferry docks.
Tip: To get to Manly, take the ferry from Circular Quay (it's a fun ride).